Thursday, January 31, 2008

Biking in the Wind

So, it's extremely windy today. I hear the weather's not much better in Canada. Here it's not extremely cold, although we were originally supposed to have a winter storm with snow and hail. But, we only got the wind - and a lot of it. Biking to school this morning was crazy. As I was going over the fiets brug (bike bridge) I had a whole lot of difficulty staying on the side of the road. I kept blowing to the centre of the road - which is slightly problematic if there're buses crossing at the same time. Fortunately, there were only other bikers. It took me 10 minutes longer than usual to get to school though, and I was late for class. But, my class has four people in it so no one noticed (cough, cough). On the way home I, again, blew into the middle of the road - this time on a busy road. That was not much fun. It's pretty scary because you don't really have a whole lot of control. I think it's my new fear.

So, that's the wind+biking for you. Not a whole lot of fun - especially if you're biking against the wind or you have a lot of wind on the side. Biking with the wind, on the othe hand, is amazing.

P.S. It's also the Queen's birthday today. So gefeliciteerd with the birthday of Koningin Beatrix to all. She's 70. They don't make a big deal of it here, which kind of surprises me. 'till next time.

2 comments:

Anja said...

They celebrate the koningins bithday April 30 i believe.

Rien(dad)

Olga said...

I know. But her actual birthday was yesterday.