Friday, January 18, 2008

Zwolle & Surroundings

I feel like I haven't really told a lot about what I've been doing or even really where I'm living. So, for that I apologise.
Anyway, I'm living in Zwolle, in a wijk (or district) called Stadshagen. It's about a 30 min. bike ride to the school in downtown Zwolle. Biking is quite wonderful. I love biking. Even if it's raining, which is good because it rains a lot.
A bit about my family:
My family here in Zwolle (a.k.a. my host family) has been living here for 7 years. They've been participating in the SPICE program as hosts for 6 or those 7 years. The parents are Jan & Antje, and the kids are Marloes (18), Jeroen (16), and Jelle (13). I like them a lot, and if you're ever in the area in the next four months you'd be most welcome to spend the night.
I just finished my introductory week at school. It wasn't all that exciting - specifically the 'Survival Dutch' which consisted of learning how to count, the days of the week, and that sort of stuff. The best part was probably the scavenger hunt we did yesterday to get us better acquainted with the city. We had to do stuff like get our picture taken at the supermarket closest to the shool, buy a specific train ticket at the train station, and collect 15 bags from 15 different stores. We could also trade items to get other items - we ended up getting cat food out of that. Unfortunately no one in the class had a cat at home.
So, yeah... I don't really know what else to write about. I'm really enjoying it. I bike to school with other girls from my neighbourhood (Kiley, Annie, and Marlene) which is nice. That'll change a bit next week when classes start, but I hope I'll still see them a lot.
But, I think that's about all for now. I'll write some more another time.

4 comments:

Nel Voogt said...

Hoi Olga,

It is nice to read your blog, but I don't like biking in the rain. I prefer the sun. I'm glad you like it in Zwolle and I'll see you soon.

Doei Nel Voogt

Kabbes said...

Hey Olg!!
how's it going? Sounds like you're having a really good time in Holland! That's really good to hear. So you haven't started classes yet? So why are you biking to school? Is it like orientation type-of-thing? Anyway, I hope you're having a great time and I really look forward to reading your blog - it IS a good idea! :) Have fun!
Kim Kabbes

Unknown said...

Hi Olga:
Biking is good exercise and I love it too - especially in Holland!
Currently we're getting some snow.
Have a great day.

Maria said...

wow, the scavenger hunt sounds like it was fun. i'm glad things are going well. and kudos on the blog upkeep!