Thursday, February 28, 2008

School and a trip to the South

Well, I've finally finished my week of midterms. I have also had the unfortunate "blessing?" of experiencing the Dutch way of receiving grades and feedback. In Canada you get your grade handed to you on a piece of paper, possibly with ways you could improve for the next time, and that's all - simple. Here it's a bit different. Here they critique your work in front of the rest of the class, specifically what you did wrong, and then go on to tell the entire class the grade you got. For me, who is not comfortable with that AT ALL, it was quite a horrible experience. I guess I'll have to get used to it over the next two months though.

On a positive note, we're headed to Aix-en-Provence, as well as Marseilles tomorrow. I can't really say I'm looking forward to it all that much, but I might get the opportunity to meet up with Aunt Emma and Uncle Lee while I'm there. The thing I'm not looking forward to is the 17 hour bus ride to and from the Southern part of France, as well as the fact I'll be arriving back in Zwolle 18.5 hours too late for my cousin's wedding. I'm kind of bitter about that. Oh well. I'll get over it. I'm sure we'll have a marvellous time there anyway.

1 comment:

Maria said...

don't worry! i wouldn't be cool with the profs broadcasting my marks to the entire class. but as for telling everyone what you did wrong? welcome to creative writing deary! humbling, isn't it?
and France? ooh, me is turing green with envy...or am i supposed to be jelous? i always get those two mixed up.